Photobucket

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Stuffed with small things

 photo Devotion31512006_zpscdd884f2.jpg

"If we don’t feel strong desires for the manifestation of the glory of God, it is not because you have drunk deeply and are satisfied. It is because we have nibbled so long at the table of the world. Our soul is stuffed with small things, and there is no room for the great." (A Hunger for God, Crossway Books, 1997)

I hear myself so often say, "I'm so frustrated with life.  I just wish it were easy.  Why is there always something/someone to deal with?"

Lately, God has started to put a new perspective on things.  The truths of his Word make the answer so clear.
Maybe not always easier, but better in ways that I really don't know how to explain.

 photo Devotion31512004_zpsdeda8af9.jpg

"This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope, It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him. The LORD is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him." ~ Lam. 2:21-25

"The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing." ~ Zephaniah 3:17

"And I will bring them through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried; they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God." ~ Zechariah 13:9

 photo 31613008_zps1318da80.jpg
 
Whether it be health issues of your own, sick children, trouble in your marriage, financial struggles, opposition with your family or friends, or whatever your 'thing' my be.  Life can be tough.

 photo Devotion31512001_zps9a99be75.jpg
 
For me, one of the best ways to fight back against all the 'life stuff', is to find some quiet moments doing something that I enjoy which usually involves music and sunlight.
 
 photo Devotion31512002_zps678f61b1.jpg
And around this time of year, flowers!
 
 photo Devotion31512005_zpsc02774f0.jpg

There's something about the sunlight that lifts my spirits and gives me hope and encouragement.  It's funny how the weather really can determine my outlook on things.  I'm so thankful for Spring and the hope of new life that it brings.
 

 photo Devotion31512003_zpse3236172.jpg

I know so many of us are struggling through the day in and day outs of life.  And the truth is it's not going to change as long as we live here on this Earth. "These things I have told you, that in me you might have peace.  In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." ~ John 16:33

We have reason for joy.  He has overcome the world {and all the 'stuff'}.

When I can direct my thoughts in a positive direction, I will always be better for it.  And literally counting my blessings is a good way to start.  When I deliberately thank God for blessings his has graciously given us, it changes my attitude.  I have so much to be thankful for!
 photo 31613001_zpsda0619f2.jpg



And because He has so abundantly blessed our lives, I think He would be delighted for us to step out of the ordinary.  The ordinary of just living life.  Doing the comfortable.  The easy.  Never looking outside of our little box.  What that means for your family, I'm not sure.  But my heart is being pricked in lots of ways.  I just need to be obedient.  Simply obedient.  I don't want to 'nibble on the small things of this world' and fill up so full that I don't have room for the great.

 photo 31613002_zps23ec7f7f.jpg

The small things of insecurity, needing so desperately the approval of others.  Spending my time and money on earthly things instead of eternal.  "Keeping up with the Joneses."  Teaching my kids about God's love and grace for all instead of creating little people who think 'it's all about ME'.

God has blessed us all too much not to do something extra-ordinary with our time here!  To store up our treasures in heaven and not on earth.

I pray that you are able to look through the yuck to the other side and see the love of Christ.  To press on inspite of the world's 'stuff'.  To know that God is refining you through the fire.  Making you a better you.  Forming new life and new hope .  Giving you the courage to step out of the ordinary and do something extra-ordinary. And strengthening you for the unseen battles ahead.

"The battle of life is, in most cases, fought uphill; and to win it without a struggle were perhaps to win it without honor. If there were no difficulties there would be no success; if there were nothing to struggle for, there would be nothing to be achieved."  ~Samuel Smiles

Linking up with:::
 


Blessings,

1 comment:

Jenn @ Beautifulcalling said...

I like that analogy - stuffed with the small things. It's a pretty accurate description of society and {sadly} me sometimes.

I, too, enjoy sunshine and flowers make me smile. We don't have any growing here yet but my tots brought me home Tulips the other day and it reminded me that spring is on the way. Every time I walked passed them, it made my heart sing!

http://www.beautifulcalling.ca/2013/02/just-because.html