Photobucket

Monday, June 28, 2010

Where Did the Years Go?

I heard a man read this today and as I listened I sobbed! Wow! I'm so guilty!

Dear Ann Landers:
Where Did the Years Go?
I remember talking to my friend a number of years ago about our
children. Mine were 5 and 7 then, just the ages when their daddy
means everything to them. I wished that I could have spent more time
with my kids but I was too busy working. After all, I wanted to give
them all the things I never had when I was growing up.

I loved the idea of coming home and having them sit on my lap and
tell me about their day. Unfortunately, most days I came home so late
that I was only able to kiss them good night after they had gone to
sleep.

It is amazing how fast kids grow. Before I knew it, they were 9 and
11. I missed seeing them in school plays. Everyone said they were
terrific, but the plays always seemed to go on when I was traveling
for business or tied up in a special conference. The kids never
complained, but I could see the disappointment in their eyes.

I kept promising that I would have more time "next year." But the
higher up the corporate ladder I climbed, the less time there seemed
to be.

Suddenly they were no longer 9 and 11. They were 14 and 16.
Teenagers. I didn't see my daughter the night she went out on her
first date, or my son's championship basketball game. Mom made
excuses and I managed to telephone and talk to them before they left
the house. I could hear the disappointment in their voices, but I
explained as best I could.

Don't ask where the years have gone. Those little kids are 19 and 21
now and in college. I can't believe it. My job is less demanding and
I finally have time for them. But they have their own interests and
there is no time for me. To be perfectly honest, I'm a little hurt.

It seems like yesterday that they were 5 and 7. I'd give anything to
live those years over. You can bet your life I'd do it differently.
But they are gone now, and so is my chance to be a real dad.

My "thief of time" may not be a "job" outside of home, but I can think of lots of 'things' that steal me away from my kids. I needed this reminder of just how quickly time goes by!

No comments: